From time to time, everyone goes through days when they feel like their body just isn't on their side. For those who have an autoimmune disease, this feeling happens more often than not. Some people try to get through some of their aches and pains by taking pain medication, but painkillers are only temporary. In order to get the treatment that has the best chance of lasting results, it is important to find a place that practices functional medicine and can handle the challenges that kidney conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes, can bring. At Superior Healthcare Integrative Medicine in Metairie, LA, we offer a variety of functional medicine services.
What Is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine focuses on natural healing rather than medications to treat various autoimmune conditions. Rather than treating only the symptoms, functional medicine focuses on getting to the root of why a certain illness is happening in the body and deals with those causes specifically to bring relief. Many medications have potential side effects and reduce your body's own ability to fight the disease. Instead, holistic remedies and nutrition are used to treat various conditions.
One of the most common examples of an autoimmune disorder is thyroid disease. A prescription synthetic thyroid hormone is taken to replace the function a person's own thyroid, which is sluggish. The thyroid starts functioning better with the medicine, however, the person becomes tied to that medication for life, with potentially serious consequences if it isn't taken consistently and monitored. Often, this happens due to Hashimoto's disease, which causes the immune system to attack the thyroid gland.
Other autoimmune conditions that are frequently helped with functional medicine include:
- Graves’ disease: This is another thyroid condition, but where too many thyroid hormones are produced. It is most common in women under forty and causes thick skin on the legs, irritability, bulging eyes, and anxiety.
- Lupus: This is a disease that attacks healthy tissue in vital organs, including the kidneys, brain, and heart. Those with lupus may get rashes on their faces.
- Crohn's disease: This is a severe type of inflammatory bowel disease. It causes inflammation and swelling, as well as abdominal pain, diarrhea, fatigue, malnutrition, and weight loss.
- Myasthenia gravis: This is a disease that produces antibodies that attack the nervous system. It can bring on extreme fatigue and weaken your skeletal muscles.
How Functional Medicine Treatments Can Help
There are several options for treatments at Superior Healthcare Integrative Medicine for those who have various types of autoimmune diseases. These include:
- Pulsed electro-magnetic field (PEMF) therapy: A non-invasive treatment that helps your cells interact in a healthy way.
- Microcurrent therapy for autoimmune diseases: Targeted currents are used to restore cells and promote faster healing.
- Oxygen & vibration therapy: This supplies the body with clean oxygen.
- Natural supplements for autoimmune conditions: Looks at lab work and finds personalized vitamins and supplements that cater to your individual needs.
- IV hydration: Reduces allergies, immune deficiencies, and food sensitivities by giving you the nutrients you are not getting in your diet.
- Ionic detox footbath: Pulls toxins out of the body and reduces bacterial infections, glucose levels, chemical toxins, inflammation, and chronic pain.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
If you are living with an autoimmune disease, functional medicine can help. At Superior Healthcare Integrative Medicine in Metairie, LA, our experts can create a personalized wellness plan for you and your condition. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call us today.